Friday, April 19, 2013

{Falcon 5K}

John Bingham aka "The Penguin" once said, "If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."

I am truly taking that quote to heart this year...heck...I may tattoo it on my forehead (just kidding). It's easy to get discouraged when you are the largest and the slowest competitor at a race, but I have to remind myself that I'm not competing against them....I'm competing against me. It does not matter that I finish last...someone has to. It doesn't matter that I'm finishing my first mile as some are finishing the entire course. What matters is that I had the courage to start and that I finish. 

You have to start somewhere. I choose to start now.

This was my first official 5K...I've ran in a couple of 1 mile and 2 mile races, but not 3 miles. I picked a tough first 5K..LOL...and was more than a little scared as I heard veteran runners talk about how tough this course was and about the hills. They were not kidding!! But I finished....barely!

One of my best friends, Brandi....she inspires me and is the one who talked me into this crazy running hobby. She always encourages me and never makes me feel bad for coming in last. When I think of giving up...I know I can't...because she's looking for me at the finish line and I don't want to let her down, so I keep running...even when my lungs are burning...even when my legs want to quit....even when I look at yet another hill and want to lay down and just cry...I keep running...I walk when I must...but I don't give up!

 Brandi with her husband Tommy
Tommy was 1st in his age division and of course Brandi...she was the female overall winner.
One day I will look like her...and one day...I will beat her :)

Me coming into the Finish Line...yes, that's Brandi, cheering me on! Actually, she was yelling "SPRINT! Pick those legs up. Don't quit." I love this girl! I was so tired at this point and having her there at the end was the extra push I needed.

So...I got to cross another item off my "40 List" and I'm gearing up for the next 5K (April 27).
My time wasn't that great on this one....46:49...but hey, it's a PR for me and I can only get better, right?!

No comments: