Wednesday, January 16, 2008

What Got Me Through



I'm at home this afternoon with a sick little boy, so I thought I'd blog a little in between loads of...more laundry!

I've been meaning to post this for a while...not sure how many people that read my blog are part of the military family, in the midst of a deployment, or know someone who is, but these books were some of what got me through the past year and a half.

My favorite; "Heroes at Home" by Ellie Kay...this is a great book not only for the military, but the civilian striving to understand. It covers everything from practical ways to help military families, budget, stress relief, moving, deployments. It really is the best book I've found.

Another great book is actually a Bible study, "Hope for the Homefront" by Marshele Carter Waddell. This study focuses on the emotional and spiritual battle associated with being a military wife, specifically during a deployment.

And lastly, another fave is "While They're At War" by Kristin Henderson. Warning: this is not for the faint of heart. This was definitely a tell it like it is book from the point of view of those living in the trenches. I, personally, like to know all options and angles and possibilities. The good, bad, and ugly. So, for me, this book was great...but it not only tells the good side, but it tells the really ugly part also...divorce, death, and the like. Definitely not for everyone.

I read everything I could get my hands on since I wasn't used to being a full time military wife. These are just my top picks, but there are a myriad of resources available. Outside of books, here are a few of my top "Get me through this deployment" resources;

God!!
Friends!
Military Spouse
Military One Source
My local FRG
Mommy Time...weekly and even a couple of weekend trips over the 15 month deployment.

Not an all-inclusive list, but at least there are some options.

Ok, back to nurse duty!

6 comments:

Simmons Family said...

Hey there! Well I had Dakota home yesterday. Although come to find out he only had the 7 hr 'homework flu'. :) Guess every kid has pulled that one. Just the same sorry to hear you have a sick one at home. Its never fun when someone is sick.
Well I am going to go, ^5 to Blake and hope he feels better soon! Will be praying for him.

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

I hope Blake feels much better today! It seems like there is alot going around right now. I am a little nervous to send Eve off to preschool today!

Thanks for the book suggestions, even though I am not in the middle of a deployment right now I still enjoy military minded books since that is my life. Now, if only I had time to read! :) There will be plenty of time for that in the years to come.

-Andrea

Michelle said...

I hope your little man is feeling better! BTW, I am not a military wife but I hope you know that your family is prayed for daily and we are so grateful for the sacrifices you make (and of course, your DH!) for my family and our great nation. (((hugs)))

mindi said...

Thanks for the suggestions!
And I hope Blake feels better (I'm home with Hunter today.)
It will take a lot to get me through, and any advice you pass along is definitely taken into consideration!

Keri said...

Thank you for sharing this list- especially the bible study. I've never found a bible study specifically for military wives! (I'm totally going to search Amazon.com for that one now)

Thanks also for stopping by my page. Goodness, I cannot imagine what your experience has been like! You certainly didn't "know what you were getting into", huh? When I first heard they were deploying national guardsmen I was sure it had to be a rumor or some kind of mistake. The military has just been turned on it's head the last few years hasn't it?

I hope your kiddo feels better soon!

The Mrs. said...

I clicked over to your page from another... goodness I cant even remember now, my mind is going. Anyways Im enjoying looking around. I loved the blog on military books. I was just putting some books away and saw that I had a shelf that was all military books! There is a cute one "MisAdventures of a Military Wife" Its very cute, and even though its by a navy wife, anyone whos been thru a deployment will find something to related about. Esp. a mom!