Friday, September 10, 2010

10 on the 10th

I thought I would finally jump back in with Meredith's challenge to post 10 things on the 10th of the month.


In remembrance of 9/11, I thought I would post 10 things I remember about that day;



1. I was at work when the announcement came over the radio. We all went upstairs to watch the horror on the television. It was unbelievable.


2. Shortly after the 2nd tower fell, I went to my children's school and picked them up. We went home where we watched the news coverage and sobbed in each others arms. We stayed there for 3 days while I tried to explain to our children as best I could what was going on, while we watched Quentin get his military gear together for possible mobilization as every unit was on alert.


3. I remember knowing that this event would forever change America.


4. I also remember thinking..."my husband is going to have to go to war." This was a profound thought considering he is National Guard and up to this point, they mainly took care of natural disasters, but somehow I knew. I had that feeling in the pit of my stomach.


5. I remember the eery silence of the skies as all air traffic was halted across the world.


6. Cell phones were jammed and it was hard to get through to family, but I kept trying, because I wanted them to know I loved them.


7. My Uncle Rudy was at the Pentagon & it took him 4 days to get out of DC and home to us. 4 agonizing days of worry.


8. Prayer vigils quickly popped up all over the world and our church was no different. I remember praying like I never had before for our nation that was apparently under attack. Praying for the safety of all of us, for our military, our President, for those that lost loved ones in this attack....praying desperately and fervently.


9. I remember the images from NYC that kept flashing across the television...forever seared in my mind as a reminder that America is not invincible.


10. I was forever changed that day. I have a much larger sense of patriotism and love for my country. I don't take things for granted as much. My husband is on his 2nd overseas tour because of that day & I've learned that life really does change in the blink of an eye.


What do you remember?

1 comment:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I remember being at home and getting a call to turn on the tv. I watched in disbelief and then went to get my children from preschool. It felt surreal...still sorta does...but thanks for helping me remember all the things that I never want to forget.