Thursday, May 17, 2007

In Another World

I've heard the phrase my entire life, heard my dad accuse me of it, confessed being there...."in another world"....but only now do I really have any real concept of what that means. I guess I've always thought of it as being in "la-la" land...not focused...but it's more about not being in touch with what you love...with who you love. It's standing still while everything around you changes. I was talking to my hubby this past week about all the things that have changed since he's been gone and realized how we are in two totally separate worlds. The landscape has changed, the people have changed, even some of the laws of the land have changed in the 10 months he's been gone. There's now a 4-lane highway in front of the school....we have new restaurants...WalMart has been remodeled (he won't be able to find a thing, I can't)....kids from church that seemed so young are now driving without an adult...the church has been painted a casual tan....my mom moved out...we got a dog...the kids have grown by leaps and bounds and their personalities have changed.... And these are just some of the surface changes that I can think of off the top of my head. I can't imagine missing my life for a year+, but that's what Quentin has done. He has literally lived in another world and while life as he knew it has stood still for him...it's gone on for us...and it won't be recognizable to him. I keep trying to prepare myself for how he's changed and I pray that he's being prepared for how we've changed. I wonder how we merge these two worlds...how we pick up where we left off. It's a little scary, but I know we'll be fine. There will have to be adjustments made, but we've come through so much that I know this too shall pass.

No comments: