Saturday, August 31, 2013

{Trail Running...Metaphor for Life?}

This morning I took off on a long trail run and had no idea how God would use that run to show me some things....not necessarily new things, but just a reminder.

I started around 9:15am and ran for an hour and a half....when I started I was confident, strong, excited about the journey ahead, but here are just a few things I learned along the way...


*Attitude is important. Believing in yourself is more than half the battle. Running is difficult on some days. Life is hard. Meeting the challenges with a smile and determined heart goes a long way in finding success.

*Be prepared. Half way through my run this morning, I realized I only brought one bottle of water and it was hot! I was able to make a pitstop at the Ranger Station and refill my bottle, but it cost me some time. 

*There will be obstacles. Life is full of obstacles (just as in trail running)....things put in your path to trip you up and slow you down. You can choose to allow that to derail you, or you can move right through it. I find that plowing through is empowering and gives you courage to keep going.

*There's help along the way :) In the form of a bridge...a friend...God's word. Don't be afraid to utilize the help that God puts out there for you.

*The easy way isn't always the best way. It's tempting to take shortcuts and look for easy outs, but God likes to teach us through the difficult circumstances. The journey may be hard, but it's so worth it.

*Don't miss the unexpected beauty. One thing I've learned is not to get so caught up in life that I forget to live. Beauty is everywhere if you just open your eyes.

*Don't quit. You will make it. It was at this point in my run that I was certain I might die. LOL. I wondered if I could even finish. I was so exhausted from the heat and the hills. I was tempted to just stop and wait to be rescued. But...there was that voice inside me that said keep going, you've got this...and so, I did.

...and I was met with this last challenge.
*Success is just around the corner...just past the challenge in front of you. If I had quit here, I wouldn't have finished...all I had to do was climb these stairs and I was there.

*Leave it all on the table. I finished. I gave everything I had and was spent physically and emotionally. I held nothing back. 

No comments: